UC Davis has prepared a great all-day workshop on Site-Specific Management to help increase widespread adoption of this valuable tool. It will be held July 14 in the UC Davis conference center (the day before Weed Day). Here’s a look at the program:
Workshop Goal: Present and discuss SSM concepts and applied research in order to provide the audience with a comprehensive understanding of how to identify and manage within-field variability to improve crop management.
Target Audience: Soils and crop management professionals, including UCCE Farm Advisors and Specialists, Pest Control Advisors, Certified Crop Advisers, Growers and others having an interest in improving their knowledge of SSM techniques.
Session I (8:30 AM to Noon) – Theory of SSM: Overview of concepts and techniques used to identify and manage within-field variability, Jose P. Molin, Biosystems Engineering, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil. Integrating geospatial technology with agronomic practices, GPS/GIS overview, methods for detecting soil and crop variability, use of sensors and yield monitors, creation of maps and variable rate input recommendations.
Noon to 1:00 PM – Lunch break
Session II (1:00 to 5:00 PM) – Applied research findings and examples illustrating the practical benefits of this technology
- Use of Precision Agriculture in the West – Rob Mikkelsen, Director, Western North America IPNI
- Site-specific methods for reclaiming salt-affected soil using electrical conductivity; and Use of Remote sensing on cotton fields for irrigation management, planning defoliation and its relationship with cotton growth and yield. Richard E. Plant, Department of Plant Sciences, UC Davis
- Site-specific nutrient management in California orchards – identifying almond yield and fertility variability and its implication on fertility management. Patrick Brown, Department of Plant Sciences, UC Davis
3:00 to 3:15 PM – Break
- Site-specific herbicide applications based on weed maps provide effective control. Tom Lanini, Department of Plant Sciences, UC Davis
- Site-specific management at Bowles Farming Company – Cannon Michael, Vice President Bowles Farming Company
- Knowledge Acquired, Intelligence Applied: Tomorrow’s Technology for Today’s Crops – Jason Ellsworth, Regional Technology Specialist, Wilbur-Ellis Company
5:00 PM – Adjourn
Please contact Andre Biscaro for details: email@example.com (661) 974-8825
Click here to register: http://ucanr.org/sites/paica/Registration/
Click here for flier: http://ucanr.org/sites/paica/files/13632.pdf