Heavy crop reside and soils will no longer be a challenge for producers thanks to Case IH‘s new True-Tandem 335 Barracuda vertical tillage tool. This agronomic and rugged tool cuts, incorporate, and evenly distributes the most difficult crop residue up to 4 inches deep, creating a healthy soiled for the next crop year. Those attending the 2016 Commodity Classic had the opportunity to see the Barracuda up close.
“We developed the new True-Tandem 335 Barracuda to help producers more productively manage the record-breaking amounts of residue associated with new, high-yielding crop genetics — especially hybrids developed for standability with tougher stalks,” said Chris Lursen, Case IH tillage marketing manager. “Thanks to the industry-exclusive serrated blades engineered with Earth Metal and greater concavity than most other vertical tillage blades on the market, the Barracuda easily slices through tough residue, uproots root balls and levels out the soil to create the ideal environment for residue breakdown and seedling development.
The Earth Metal Barracuda blades can cut up to 4 inches deep while still covering acres quickly. The blades can break through hard, dry soil and surface compaction to promote soil movement and the chisel-tipped serrations keep them sharp.
“As the chisel-tipped teeth wear, the valley between each tip stays sharp, retaining the cutting edge and extending the blade’s lifetime,” said Lursen. “Combined with the high-quality Earth Metal material, the blades are built for durability, helping producers cover rocky terrain and uneven ground in confidence — even at high speeds.”
Additional features that ramp up the aggressiveness of the new True-Tandem 335 Barracuda include:
- Capability to run at 6 to 9 miles per hour for higher speed, higher productivity soil management. Operating at 8 miles per hour, a producer using a 34-foot machine can cover 28 acres per hour.
- A rugged, pull-through frame that balances weight distribution over tough, fast-changing conditions.
- The 22-inch, crimp center Earth Metal Barracuda blades are engineered using a unique process and steel formula to prevent brittleness and elasticity, making blades stronger and more durable.
- An 18-degree gang angle matched to each blade’s shallow concavity provides thorough soil mixing without causing backside blade compaction like competitive designs.
- Front and rear gangs and blades are properly indexed to one another, providing an even surface finish and a more even subsurface floor than most other vertical tillage tools and high-speed disks.
- The hydraulically adjustable TigerPaw™ Crumbler® rolling reel, which helps produce more uniform clod sizing, soil particle stratification and residue distribution.
- The ability to retrofit the Barracuda blade to Case IH True-Tandem 330 Turbo or 335VT models.
- The True-Tandem 335 Barracuda is available in working widths from 22 to 34 feet to match most tractors.
- Whether spring or fall, producers can use the unit alone or in combination with other tillage operations to achieve soil conditions for uniform crop emergence.