The Weed Science Society of America (WSSA) announced the agenda for a national scientific summit on herbicide resistant weeds, scheduled for 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. September 10 in Washington, D.C. WSSA plans to offer the event as a live webcast for those unable to attend in person.
Participants in the day-long Summit will hear top experts speak on the following topics:
– Herbicide resistance development and management
– The decision-making process for weed management
– Economics of proactively managing herbicide resistance
– Community-based approaches to area-wide weed management
– Incentives and regulatory initiatives
– Education and outreach efforts
– The need for greater diversity in non-chemical weed management strategies
The Summit will be held in the Auditorium of the National Academy of Sciences Building on Constitution Avenue. Participation is free and open to anyone with an interest in resistance issues.
Those attending in person are asked to register online. Those participating via webcast will find a link posted on September 10.
WSSA sponsored a similar Summit in 2012 to share best management practices that can reduce the incidence of herbicide resistance, including diversification of weed control tactics used by growers. The September 10 event will build on the insights and perspectives developed in 2012.