The Fertilizer Institute (TFI) announced the winners of the 2014 4R Advocate Awards. The 4R Advocate Award program, now in its third year, recognizes on-farm stewardship actions. Winners are selected based on their actions to protect the environment, boost profitability and benefit society through nutrient stewardship practices based on the 4Rs (using the right nutrient source, at the right rate, at the right time and in the right place). Winners were nominated by their retail dealers who are also recognized with 4R awards. The 2014 winners are as follows:
· Clint Wortman of Jackson Wortman, LLC, in Quitman, Ga.; nominated by A.J. Radford of Crop Production Services in Moultrie, Ga.
· John Werries in Chapin, Ill.; nominated by Vern Bader of Bader Agricultural Services, Inc. in Meredosia, Ill.
· George Brand of Brand Dairy Farms in Waterloo, Ind.; nominated by Terry Bechman of The Andersons, Inc. in Waterloo, Ind.
· Dennis and Greg Iott of Iott Seed Farms, Inc. in Kalkaska, Mich.; nominated by Dale Dosenberry of Wilbur-Ellis in Edmore, Mich.
· Chris VonHolton of AgView FS in Walnut, Ill.; nominated by Malcolm Stambaugh of AgView FS in Walnut, Ill.
Current and past 4R Advocates serve as spokespersons providing outreach to peers and stakeholders on fertilizer best management practices. The 4R Advocates speak from experience and bring on-farm knowledge when engaging with others.