The American Seed Trade Association(ASTA) is reminding farmers to follow five basic steps to practice good stewardship of treated seed.
- Follow Directions: Follow directions on treated seed container labels for handling, storage, planting and disposal practices.
- Eliminate Flowering Weeds: Eliminate flowering plants and weeds in and around the field prior to planting.
- Minimize Dust: Use advanced seed flow lubricants that minimize dust.
- BeeAware: At planting, be aware of honey bees and hives located near the field, and communicate with beekeeper when possible.
- Clean and Remove: Completely clean and remove all treated seed left in containers and equipment used to handle harvested grain, and dispose of it properly. Keep all treated seed out of the commodity grain channels.
ASTA also partners with the Agricultural Retailers Association, American Farm Bureau Federation, American Soybean Association, CropLife America, National Corn Growers Association, and National Cotton Council to bring you the Guide to Seed Treatment Stewardship.